Maximilien Robespierre (1758-1794) quotes
- Again, it may be said, that to love justice and equality the people need no great effort of virtue; it is sufficient that they love themselves.
- Any institution which does not suppose the people good, and the magistrate corruptible, is evil.
- Any law which violates the inalienable rights of man is essentially unjust and tyrannical; it is not a law at all.
- Pity is treason.
- The general will rules in society as the private will governs each separate individual.
- The king must die so that the country can live.
- The secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of tyranny is in keeping them ignorant.
- To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty.
Thoughts & Comments